Friday, August 16, 2013

Winner Winner!

Do you remember me blogging about our study and how I've been working on organizing and rearranging it?  Welllll, a month or so ago I won a new corner bed by Standard Furniture from completing a survey from MomCentral!  wahoooo!!!!!!!!!  The corner bed can be found under the youth line of furniture but I think it works perfect in a "grown up" space as well. 

I've secretly been wanting to use the study as an art studio and this was my chance to create more space but still have room for guests(by bringing down a twin mattress when more than one person visits)!  We had a giant king size bed in the room for guests but considering we might have 4-6 visits a year total and the couples probably won't mind getting their own twin sized beds...  I decided New Art studio!  woot woot! 

Here's a before picture... 
It looks like a bunch of space but really that floor space was just about all there was plus a walking path on the other side of the bed to get in on the other side.  Not really enough to spread out a bunch of paintings that I like to do when painting series.

So after I got the bookshelves setup and traded my son's dresser for an antique dresser we were using in the entry, I won the corner twin bed!  How convenient! 

It arrived in two large packages that the delivery guy was sooo nice to put in the entry for me(next to the study.  That night I listed the king sized mattress on craigslist for free and in all over 30minutes people started calling for it and by 9pm or so it was gone!  I heart Craigslist. :) 

The next night after the kids were in bed I started on the assembly.  This was super easy.  I did have some help when I attached the rails with the headboard/footboard but other than that I put it together on my own. 

Also the directions were easy to follow and it was packaged very well.  One of the corners of the boxes was squished pretty good and there was a spot that part of the cardboard was pulled back so I thought it surely had to be damaged somehow.  Fortunately the packaging was so good that nothing was damaged or missing!

Here's some pictures of how the corner bed came shipped and all the different parts that came with it...

Wahooo!  My prize arrived!
 Here's all the fasteners and the tool that came with it...
 The feet were SO easy to put on...
 These gaskets went on the ends of the slats that hold up the mattress...
 Easy install of slats to the rails...
 Another shot...  I liked that these fit into holes so the slats stay in one place and not scoot around...

So super easy to put together!

Another thing I did for the study was create a "coffee table" so that the corner bed feels more like a couch.  I used the ottoman that used to go with the upholstered chair that I used to rock my babies in.  We had moved the set to our bedroom but the ottoman just didn't fit properly.  Sooo...  with a new slip cover created from the old King dust ruffle and pillow shame...  tah dah!  New slipcovered coffee table/ottoman!

It feels sooo much larger in this room now(only lacking hanging the curtains soon)...
 Looks cool huh?!  I could make this look even more "couchy" with pillows, a traditional coffee table, and a different comforter but this one was free since I already had it!
 View from my relaxing reading spot; slashy my bed to sneak off to and sleep in when our two youngest climb in our bed in the middle of the night and treat me like a giant pillow. haha
 
I love love love all the extra space in this room!  We can move around easily.  Soon I'll have my sewing machine setup again(sold my free sewing machine table and am going to set up my granny's old table again soon).  After I got this all setup my husband realized I had made a "woman zone" in what was suppose to be his manly man room; but hey, he said he wasn't going to work on it for another year so I thought...  Ohhh I have my own room for a full year!  Yipppeeee!!! 

What do you think about the new space?! 

No comments: