Monday, April 29, 2013

I Heart Hoarders

It's one of my favorite shows... Hoarders. I DVR it and then use it to motivate me to fold clothes when the laundry monster has puked on my bed. Most of the people in the show have been affected by an emotionally devestating tragedy... death of a loved one, loss of love, etc. Some it's just how they watched a different family member grow up. But for all of them, it is certain it is a mental disorder.

I am a spiritual hoarder. I can't empathize with the hoarders on the show because I don't keep things physically, but in the past I have kept my past and held onto it tight. I've piled up memories, past hurts, guilt from hurting others, self-righteousness, pride, and every other ugly thing. This stuff is trash. God tells us that He removes our sin as far as the east is from the west…

Psalm 103:11 For as high as the heavens are above the earth,
so great is his love for those who fear him;
12 as far as the east is from the west,
so far has he removed our transgressions from us.


That’s good news. But why am I like the people on the show Hoarders? I know that God wants to come in and help clean house. I know He doesn’t expect me to just sit there but make decisions on what is important and what isn’t, what is trash and what is treasure. I’m just like those men and women. I don’t want to let go. I ignore the mold, the piles of poo that my sin has generated, the smell that even cases of kitty litter doesn’t cover up. I say, “That’s a project that I’m planning on working on later. I’ll deal with it later.” Or “There’s some use for that broken hanger; don’t touch it! I’m keeping it!” Or “There’s some use for me feeling guilty about something that is over, that I’ve been forgiven of. Don’t touch it! It’s my treasure. I’m keeping it!”

Obviously, I’m not always good about giving things over to God to dispose of. Is it my pride? Yes. My lack of trust for God(You know the Creator of all the Universe)? Yes. Am I a work in progress? Yes. My heart still looks like the inside of a hoarder’s house at times. I want to bring things in and keep them. Things that have no value in my spiritual life; things that will just pile up and grow mold and make me stink. Daily I have to ask Him to help clean up everything. And thankful daily He sees my heart. He knows when He opens the door it’s gonna be piled with my sin and gonna smell bad… sometimes real bad. I’m so thankful that God still wants to knock and still wants to come into my heart.

No comments: