Wednesday, January 1, 2014

Organization Upgrade!

Our home's "Central Command", aka armoire, has been an evolving area in our house.  Well, we were needing a place for charging all our electronics and also needed a place for the kids coats to hang so I didn't have to go up and down the stairs every time we were heading out.  The only problem was the armoire only had so much counter type space...  see...


So the only place I could go was up.  That meant building a shelf somehow.  Unfortunately, I'm not much of a carpenter.  Luckily, Lowe's will cut wood to length.  So after bringing home the pieces, fastening them together, and a bit of staining, here's what I came up with...

 
This "shelf" could almost be used for a bench if I had put a center support in it!  So next was putting this into the armoire.  Sounds easy right?  Well... when measuring the width needed, I forgot to take into consideration that the door hinges were a little bit into the width of the armoire.  Oopsy!
 
Also there were a couple more items that needed to be corralled but didn't have a box for them.  Sooo...  instead of buying pretty storage boxes I decided to make my own.  Being close to the holidays with all the packages we had ordered, we had a bunch of cardboard boxes to choose from and also had pretty wrapping paper to choose from...  Voila!
 


 
In the very center is the file tower that I used for the electronics charging station.  Also hooks were added to the doors for the coats.  It's so great to have everything so much better organized and have one place in the house for all the electronics to charge.  So handy!
 

No comments: